Skip to main content

Ballasting The C&NW Layout

After watching plenty of videos on YouTube on ballasting N scale and specifically KATO Unitrack, it was now time to get it done on my C&NW layout. Growing up and attempting previous model railroads, ballasting was always an issue for me, but with the help of the internet, I think I finally got it right.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on it now and I elected to go with the following approach.

Items needed:
Ballast
White Glue
Isopropyl Alcohol
Scenic Cement
Baby Spoon
Craft Paint Brushs
Eye Droppers

Steps:
  1. I applied Elmer’s Glue-All full strength (white glue) on the edges of the Unitrack and a little on the trackboard.
  2. With a craft flat paint brush, I spread the glue evenly.
  3. I used a baby spoon to distribute the ballast over the edges of the track.  The baby spon allowed a bit more control to apply the ballast.
  4. With a fine paint brush, I cleaned up any ballast that was built up on the ties.
  5. With a wider flat paint brush, I brushed up at an angle any ballast on the track board closer to the track itself.
  6. Once the white glue was dry, I used 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to act as a wetting agent for when it was time to apply the Scenic Cement.  I applied the alcohol using an eye dropper evenly across all the ballast.
  7. Again with an eye dropper it was time to apply the Scenic Cement, the cement could just be a mix of white glue and water, but I decided to use Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement.  Just like with the alcohol, the scenic cement was applied evenly across all the ballast.

That’s about all there is too it.  Now just have to wait for it all to dry.  Once dry I will use a vacuum and clean up the track board and possibly on the rails itself.  Then some more isopropyl alcohol to clean the rails from any glue that may have spilt on them.

Since I am using KATO Unitrack (which technically is already ballasted), I elected not to apply any more ballast between the rails itself.  The ballast I purchased is from KATO and is matched to their Unitrack.  I went this route so my ballast can blend better, and so I do not accidentally get too much glue on the rails.








You’ll notice in the pictures above a third rail with two bumpers at the terminal station.  I decided to add this as a ‘display rail’ for my layout.  I will model a park just in front of it and visitors can go up to the display rail to look at any locomotives or passenger cars that will be displayed there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

METX #163 EMD F40PH Locomotive

First off, Merry Christmas to everyone... When I first wanted to get (back) into Model Railroading, the one locomotive that I knew I really wanted was a Chicago Metra locomotive.  Growing up on the West Line and riding the Metra into the city, I always loved this locomotive. So last night on Christmas Eve, my youngest child, wife and I opened presents.  To my behold, my wife got me a KATO EMD F40PH in the Chicago Matra liverly along with it being the “City of Elmhurst”, Elmhurst is the suburb I grew up right next to on the West Line. Since I knew I wanted one for my collection, I already had a TSC DCC K5D7 decoder ready for it, so this morning I followed the directions and got the decoder soldered into the locomotive and then programmed on my layout. It really is a Merry Christmas!

C&NW #928 EMD SD40 Locomotive

Well the last couple of days I have really been giving our USPS lady a workout, packages and packages arriving for my layout.  I added another diesel freight locomotive to the roster with a KATO Chicago & North Western #928 SD40.  This model I had purchased used through a Facebook Group and already equipped with DCC. The following is borrowed from  Don’s Depot . 928 was built in September 1966, #32099, FN 7912-8, as CGW 408. It became C&NW 928 in 1968. It was retired on September 25, 1987 and sold to Washington Corporation in November 1989.  It was rebuilt for Corporate Leasing Inc as 3001. It then became MRL 3001 and was later renumbered 220. It was later transferred to I&M Rail Link as 220 in 1997 and sold as Iowa Chicago & Eastern 220 in July 2002.  It was retired in February 2007 and scrapped by Jabco Industrial in March 2007.

2017 Christmas Day N Scale Trains Running