Skip to main content

Scenery: Freight Depot

This past Sunday I started work on the scenery for where my Model Power ‘Freight Depot’ will be residing.  I was hoping to originally start my scenery work with the area around North Western Terminal (the parking lot and surrounding areas), but my order for my sidewalks did not arrive on Saturday like it was originally scheduled for.  So instead I elected to start on another part of the layout.  I already had the ‘Freight Depot’ in hand and knew where I wanted it to go and it would be a good location to test out my scenery skills (it has been a few years since I played around with any of the Woodland Scenics materials).

First I applied some Brown craft paint as a base coat for the scenery.

Second, I laid out some Brown Fine Ballast to be used as my dirt roads.  I plan on using this Brown Fine Ballast for all my dirt roads in the Industrial section of my layout.

Third I sprinkled on some Fine Turf in Earth color (trying to avoid the road as much as possible), although a hand held vacuum comes in handy to vaccum up the area.

Finally I srprinkle on some Static Grass Flock in Harvest Gold over some of the areas that had the Fine Turf.  This was the first time I got to use my Static Grass Applicator from PECO and it was quite easy to use.

All in all I am quite happy on how this section turned out.  My plan is to model my Industrial section all of the same way (so this was a nice test area).  Once I get to actually assembling the buildings and getting them placed on the layout, I will be going back and adding some bushes and shrubs and other pieces of scenery.  What I did above was more of just my base for scenery.

Hopefully my next post we will get to tackle the area around North Western Terminal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

METX #163 EMD F40PH Locomotive

First off, Merry Christmas to everyone... When I first wanted to get (back) into Model Railroading, the one locomotive that I knew I really wanted was a Chicago Metra locomotive.  Growing up on the West Line and riding the Metra into the city, I always loved this locomotive. So last night on Christmas Eve, my youngest child, wife and I opened presents.  To my behold, my wife got me a KATO EMD F40PH in the Chicago Matra liverly along with it being the “City of Elmhurst”, Elmhurst is the suburb I grew up right next to on the West Line. Since I knew I wanted one for my collection, I already had a TSC DCC K5D7 decoder ready for it, so this morning I followed the directions and got the decoder soldered into the locomotive and then programmed on my layout. It really is a Merry Christmas!

C&NW #928 EMD SD40 Locomotive

Well the last couple of days I have really been giving our USPS lady a workout, packages and packages arriving for my layout.  I added another diesel freight locomotive to the roster with a KATO Chicago & North Western #928 SD40.  This model I had purchased used through a Facebook Group and already equipped with DCC. The following is borrowed from  Don’s Depot . 928 was built in September 1966, #32099, FN 7912-8, as CGW 408. It became C&NW 928 in 1968. It was retired on September 25, 1987 and sold to Washington Corporation in November 1989.  It was rebuilt for Corporate Leasing Inc as 3001. It then became MRL 3001 and was later renumbered 220. It was later transferred to I&M Rail Link as 220 in 1997 and sold as Iowa Chicago & Eastern 220 in July 2002.  It was retired in February 2007 and scrapped by Jabco Industrial in March 2007.

2017 Christmas Day N Scale Trains Running